- You love the outdoors, adventure, wide open spaces?
- You want to discover the Charlevoix region?
Discover Katabatik - Aventure dans Charlevoix !
We are Multi-Activity Open Air outfitters with two things in mind: discovering and sharing.
Our activities and packages extend over the vast Charlevoix territory. We believe that every discovery area is unique and offers must see points of interest for the practice of eco-touristic activities. Charlevoix is our land of adventure and we will help you discover it.
Allying authenticity and sports experience, we are mainly active in the following fields:
- Sea kayaking on the St Lawrence
- Kayaking down Rivière du Gouffre
- Canyoning in the Charlevoix cascades
- Stand Up Paddle rental
- Bike rental
We put our skills and knowledge at your disposal by adapting them to your expectations and offering you a number of different activities.
Due to the variety of possible activities, we invite you to check out our packages as well as our different operating sites to make the best possible holiday choice.
Mission and vision
To create a growing interest for outdoor activities in Charlevoix through the safe practise of a vast range of adventure activities focused on ecotourism and the interpretation of our surroundings.
To become a leader in Québec's adventure tourism field by striving to make Charlevoix an internationally renowned outdoors destination.
Kayaking on the St Lawrence
- Excursions - Scenery and wildlife observation
- Expeditions -Multi-Day kayak camping
- Winter kayaking
Kayaking down Rivière du Gouffre
- Recreational kayaking for all : 8, 20 and 25 km courses
Stand Up Paddle rental
Bike rental in La Malbaie and Baie-Saint-Paull
Canyoning in the Charlevoix cascades
- The Charlevoix coastline and the Middle St Lawrence Estuary
- Saguenay-St. Lawrence Marine Park
- Charlevoix World Biosphere Reserve
- Hautes-Gorges-de-la-Rivière-Malbaie National Park
- Gouffre river in Baie-Saint-Paul
- Interpretation of the maritime environment both in French and in English
- Safe, professional supervision
- Bird and marine mammal observation
- Team Building and Corporate activities for groups of up to 100
- Specialists of Québec winter kayaking
Our mission is completely oriented towards sustainable development
- We have a fleet of 115 human-powered boats and 10 bicycles to explore Charlevoix's wilderness and coast in ''Leave-no-trace'' mode.
- We built a third of our fleet using wood, a material that allows us to service and restore the boats on a regular basis
- We use biodegradable products to clean our equipment each day
- We use safe shuttles to transport customers to their starting points
- We generate stimulating and structured employment for 15 of the region's people trained in eco and adventure tourism
- We provide nautical and tourist expertise to Regional and Provincial committees
Katabatik is a member of:
- Charlevoix World Biosphere Reserve
- Tourism Charlevoix
- Paddle Canada
- Fédération québécoise du canot et du kayak
Aventure Écotourisme Québec :
We are a member of Aventure Écotourisme Québec since we first opened in 2001. This guarantees that we work according to sector-based safety standards, that we hire certified guides, maintain industry-determined supervision ratios and hold civil liability insurance covering our activities.
A team of passionate and professional people.
Our values: autonomy, acceptance, belonging and commitment.
Katabatik - Aventure dans Charlevoix is proud of its dynamic, dedicated and motivated team.
Our guides love to share their knowledge with our guests. They are trained in the interpretation of the Charlevoix environment, especially the maritime sector.
To insure safe supervision, they are proficient in the fields of meteorology, first aid, leadership and risk management and, of course, paddling techniques and rescue.
Sébastien Savard, manager
A Charlevoix native, Sebastien Savard is also kayakist, and philosopher in his spare time. For some twenty years, he has been proactive in developing specialized outdoors services, establishing relations between tourism stakeholders and making Charlevoix stand out as a Québec outdoors destination.
His main fields of interest are the social responsibilities of business, the sustainable development of Québec tourism, maritime safety, the development of outdoor activities, access to the St. Lawrence, the territories' environmental issues and the manner in which they are used.
Reception and customer service
Guides and bus drivers
Since 2000, in constant progress !
A brief glimpse of events since the year 2000.
- Exploration excursions, technical training and building wood kayaks.
- Official opening, 1st season: 2 guides, 8 kayaks, ½ day excursions from Cap-à-l’Aigle and Saint-Irénée. Building wood kayaks.
- ½ day excursions from Cap-à-l’Aigle, Saint-Irénée and Baie-des-Rochers.
- ½ day and 1 day excursions, expeditions, packages and regional partnerships. Building wood kayaks.
- 6 guides, 32 kayaks, daily excursions from May to October, numerous expeditions, packages, tour operators, 1 day excursion to Hautes-Gorges-de-la-Rivière-Malbaie Provincial Park (agreement with SÉPAQ).
- Establishment of a point of service on the beach at Saint-Siméon.
- Winter kayak excursion. Rental of facilities at Saint-Irénée, excursions from Petite-Rivière-Saint-François
- Merger and acquisition of l'Air du Large in Baie-Saint-Paul, 80 kayaks. Rivière du Gouffre descent, canyoning, paragliding, bike rentals, kites.
- Upgrading of Baie-Saint-Paul facilities, 15 employees, 80 kayaks with 135 person seating capacity.
- 10th anniversary: services are centralized under one name: Katabatik - Aventure dans Charlevoix. Start of sea kayak excursions from L'Isle-aux-Coudres.
- Construction of a service centre at the Baie-des-Rochers wharf, purchase of comfortable hybrid bikes, design and launch of the new Web site.