Descent of Rivière du Gouffre - La Familiale - 12 km
A must for families
The Gouffre river is still a wild salmon river, ideal for recreational kayaking. Several routes dotted with easy whitewaters are offered to beginners, families, groups including school groups, as well as more experienced adepts.
We offer a rental service to suit all tastes along with a shuttle service. While descending the river, you will have the opportunity to stop on one of the beaches for a swim, to enjoy a picnic or just take in the scenery.
Relax, live the present, take a deep breath, have a good look at all this wilderness, feel its power and let the river currents guide your trip.
A glimpse of what to expect
The Gouffre river's forest landscape is unique as it meanders through a valley seated in blue clay and sand.
The last leg snakes through a more rural and urbanized section: the village of Baie-Saint-Paul. On the West bank, next to the Leclerc bridge, is a historical fresco about Charlevoix, Baie-Saint-Paul and the hinterland, from the olden days until now.
The environment you will be exploring
The source of the Gouffre river is lac des Coeurs, located in Grands-Jardins National Park. It flows 72 km before joining the brackish waters of the St. Lawrence estuary at the Baie-Saint-Paul wharf. All the routes we offer on this river come to an end at the mouth of the river, near our facilities at the wharf, 210 rue Sainte-Anne.
This river is well-known because of the presence of Atlantic salmon, Speckled and Rainbow trout in its waters. Its many pools attract salmon fishermen.
The Gouffre river is nonetheless a fragile environment. Let's remind ourselves that we are visiting a unique ecosystem. PLEASE follow our example and Leave No Trace of your passage.
Information and price
From Mai 18 to October 13, 2013
Baie-Saint-Paul wharf, 210, rue Saint-Anne, Baie-Saint-Paul, G3Z 1P8
Price for each participant
|La Familiale (12km)||La Balade (20km)||L'Aventure (25km)|
|Adults (18+)||35 $||45 $||55 $|
|Youth (3 - 17)||25 $||35 $||40 $|
The package includes…
- Rental of Solo or double kayak
- Shuttle to the river starting point
- Basic kayaking instructions
- Nautical equipment and dry bags
The package excludes…
- Your personal sports clothes
- TAXES NOT INCLUDED (14,975 %)
- Solo or double kayak
- PFD (Personal Flotation Device)
- Dry bags
- Dry suit rental available
- Wool or Polar sweater
- Short or swimsuit
- Cap or hat
- Extra clothes
- Enough water for the whole day
- Sunglasses and suntan lotion
Route and length
La Familiale (12 km)
The Baie-Saint-Paul wharf.
Shuttle service from the parking lot at the Baie-Saint-Paul wharf to your kayak starting point is included in the rental price. All kayak routes end at the Baie-Saint-Paul wharf. Reservations mandatory. Children from 3 years.
- Difficulty level
- 12 km / Easier route, with some fun whitewaters to discover the river's challenges. For beginners.
From 1 1\2 à 2 1\2 hours (depending on the water level).
Several departures daily. Participants must arrive 30 minutes early to get prepared.
|Departure||Septembre and Octobre from Tuesday to Friday||Return Time|
|12h||La Familiale (12 km)||~ 15h|
|Departure||Septembre and Octobre from Saturday and Sunday||Return Time|
|11h||La Familiale (12 km)||~ 14h|
|13h||La Familiale (12 km)||~ 16h|
Contact us us for details and to book your reservation.
- Reservation requests using the form included below will be processed quickly.
- We shall call you to complete your reservation
- Reservations must be confirmed by credit card.
- The deposit at the reseration is 50% of the total amount.
In case of cancellation by Katabatik for reasons of security related to weather conditions:
- A new reservation is made at the customer's convenience;
- If it is impossible for the customer to make a new reservation, the excursion is cancelled free of charge.
- The decision to cancel made by Katabatik always takes place at the starting point and departure time of a given activity.
For reservations cancelled by the customer:
- You can modify or cancel your reservation free of charge up until noon (12 p.m.) the day before the activity.
- For any cancellation made after noon (12 p.m.) the day before the activity, the 50 % deposit is not refundable.