1 day sea kayaking tour | Gros Cap à l'Aigle and Marine Park
Adventure for all and observation of marine mammals
From the Port de Refuge de Cap-à-l'Aigle marina, by way of rivière à la Loutre, discover one of the most remote sections of the Charlevoix coast: le Gros cap à l'Aigle and enjoy a memorable outdoor meal there, on the Bas de l'Anse beaches. Observe the aquatic birds that live there along with marine mammals (whales, belugas, porpoise and seals)
- The coastal landscapes of the Charlevoix World Biosphere Reserve;
- The Southwest section of the Saguenay-St. Lawrence Marine Park;
- Camping on beaches and outdoor meals;
- Meeting and observing marine mammals and aquatic birds;
- The iodized smell of tidal flats and the succession of rocky capes.
The environment you will be visiting
Many species of aquatic and migratory bird species live and/or stop over here. To mention but a few: the Common Eider, Surf Scoter, Barrow's Goldeneye, Double-crested Cormorant, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Razorbill, Black Guillemot, Long-tailed Duck , Great Blue Heron, Snow Goose, Canada Goose. In all, 250 species of shorebirds, forest and aquatic birds visit and\or live in the Charlevoix region. As for marine mammals, there are 2 resident species: the Beluga and the Harbour Seal, along with a few other species that spend the summer here: Harbour porpoise, Minke and Fin Whales.
The Cap-à-l'Aigle sector discovery activity, in the St. Lawrence middle Estuary, also testifies as to Charlevoix's hectic geological history. Paddle to the rhythm of the tide and learn more from our interpreter-guides.
Experienced guides that know the area, respect for weather conditions, maximized supervision ratios, appropriate routes, equipment quality, comfortable wetsuits, all these factors help us to safely supervise groups of tourists of all ages, experience levels and backgrounds.
Information and price
May 11 to October 20, 2013
Marina Port de Refuge, 10, rue de la Grève, La Malbaie, G5A 2R3
Price for each participant
|Age||Rates||Groups 8 et +||Kayak perso*|
|18 and +||105 $||95 $||75 $|
|10-17||85 $||75 $||65 $|
( * ) : pour ceux qui participent avec leur propre kayak de mer et vêtements isothermiques.
The package includes…
- Six and one half hour (6 ½) guided kayak excursion
- A generous outdoor lunch
- Introduction to basic kayaking
- Supervision by a professional guide
- Nautical material and dry bags
- Wetsuit & accessories.
The package excludes…
- Your personal sports garments
- Taxes (14.975 %)
- Guide gratuities, at your discretion.
- Solo or double sea kayak
- Wetsuit, paddling anorak and booties
- PFD (Personal Flotation Device)
- Dry bag
- Sprayskirt and paddle.
- Wool or Polar sweater
- Short or swimsuit
- Cap or hat
- Extra clothes
- Enough water for the whole day.
Route and length
Cap-à-l'Aigle wharf to Gros cap à l'Aigle and return
Port de Refuge de Cap à l'Aigle marina installations for reception and facilities.
- Approximately 18 km, with several nice beaches to stop for lunch
- Difficulty level
- Route difficulty level is Easy to Moderate, starting from the Cap à l'Aigle wharf ramp. Excursion is accessible to beginners as well as to experienced paddlers.
- 6hrs 30min total
- Technical preparation and training: 1hr
- Kayak excursion: 2hrs a.m. + 2hrs p.m.
- Lunch break: 1hr 30min
Departures are usually scheduled between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. according to the variable cycle of the tide.
- Reservation requests using the form included below will be processed quickly.
- We shall call you to complete your reservation
- Reservations must be confirmed by credit card.
- The deposit at the reseration is 50% of the total amount.
In case of cancellation by Katabatik for reasons of security related to weather conditions:
- A new reservation is made at the customer's convenience;
- If it is impossible for the customer to make a new reservation, the excursion is cancelled free of charge.
- The decision to cancel made by Katabatik always takes place at the starting point and departure time of a given activity.
For reservations cancelled by the customer:
- You can modify or cancel your reservation free of charge up until noon (12 p.m.) the day before the activity.
- For any cancellation made after noon (12 p.m.) the day before the activity, the 50 % deposit is not refundable.